Saturday, July 25, 2009

It's the End of the World... of Warcraft


Let's hypothetically assume Blizzard goes out of business and decides to shut down their servers and WoW for good. You have 5 hours before the server shutdown is permanent. What would you do in 5 hours?


I read this quote over here and it really got me thinking.

I spend a lot of time in WoW. I would go so far as to claim that over half of my time is spent thinking about or actively playing WoW. The last six months of my life have been primarily focused on WoW. It's what I do for fun, and what I work on when I have no real work. I'm doing it even as I write.

So what would I do if it was the end of the World... of Warcraft? In my reamining time online, I suppose I would wate precious time trying first to verify the announcement and then to figure out what to do. First off I'd make sure the friends I have online know how to contact me outside the game, and I'd make damn sure to be on Vent for the remaining time. I would have come to the conclusion that I have to make it last, I would go do one of two things:

1. I might go revisit content that I really enjoyed. Ask around the guild if people have appropriately-levelled alts for Deadmines, maybe do an AB and an AV, go solo Heroic Nexus again, have a naked dance party in the north Dalaran bank with screenshots all around. Oh yes, no matter what it would be screenshots everywhere.

2. I would make one last-ditch attempt at Yogg-Saron. I know the guild isn't anywhere close to the encounter, but I'd be damned if I would miss out on content I could have seen. Out of Ulduar's 17 (?) bosses, I've seen only 7, and killed only 6. We would make at least one fail attempt at Thorim, Hodir and Mimiron, and then actually down Freya. No way I could live with knowing our hours of wiping was actually truly a lost cause.

Once the servers were down... I don't know. Immediately, I would probably call a game of Smash Bros., although most of the rest of my house also plays WoW, and may not be in the mood.

Longer term... I don't really know. I may rededicate myself to my studies, or I might dive back into the MMO that I've been producing alone. Maybe a bit of both.

It's a really deep question. I've quit WoW before, but there was always the nice feeling that when my schedule or other things got better, I could go back and my guild would still be there (apparently no more progressed than when I had left /grumble).

So what would you do? Say something in the comments, it's an interesting question meriting a response. (Side note: No tank posts lately due to new 80 healy priest. Will get back to work when guild raids Ulduar again and I'm forced to go on something I'm competent at.)

No comments:

Post a Comment